24 Jan '11, 11am

Manila's mayor has refused to attend an inquest in Hong Kong over last year's bus hijacking for fear of being arrested.

MANILA - A PHILIPPINE politician blamed for his inept handling of a bus hijacking that left eight tourists dead said Monday he would not attend an inquest in Hong Kong for fear of being arrested. Manila Mayor Alfredo Lim, reprimanded by his own government for his handling of last year's fiasco, said he had declined a request by Hong Kong authorities to give evidence at the inquest, which begins on Feb 14. 'What if the coroner woke up one day and decided we would not be allowed to go home? Who should prevail?' Mr Lim told reporters. He also said the Philippine government had already investigated the case thoroughly. 'What else is there to investigate? Does it mean the previous (Philippine) investigation is being set aside?' Mr Lim said. 'Is that not an infringement of our sovereignty or an encroachment and mockery of the authority and official functions of our government?' ...

Full article: http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/SEAsia/Story/STI...

Tweets

At least two people were killed and 15 others i...

straitstimes.com 25 Jan '11, 7am

At least two people were killed and 15 others injured when an explosion believed to have been caused by a bomb. -- ST FILE...

Hong Kong judge stands down in Singson drug case

Hong Kong judge stands down in Singson drug case

channelnewsasia.com 26 Jan '11, 12pm

HONG KONG - A Hong Kong judge stood down from the drug trafficking trial of Philippine congressman Ronald Singson on Wedne...