12 Oct '11, 4am

Australian nurse suffers brain damage after drinking 'jungle juice' cocktail on Indonesian holiday island of Lombok

SYDNEY (AFP) - An Australian nurse suffered brain damage and kidney failure after drinking a cocktail called jungle juice on the Indonesian holiday island of Lombok, a report said on Wednesday. Jamie Johnston, 25, was flown to the Royal Darwin Hospital from Bali in a coma after ordering a jug of arak - a rice wine popular throughout South-east Asia - mixed with fruit juice to share with her mother. The Sydney Morning Herald said the batch was contaminated with methanol, a toxic chemical often used as an anti-freeze or in paint, which was linked to the deaths of four foreign tourists in 2009 in Bali. Ms Johnston's mother Lyn, who was not affected, told the newspaper that test results had shown her daughter suffered methanol poisoning after drinking the cocktail on September 20 at the Happy Cafe restaurant.

Full article: http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/World/Story/STIS...

Tweets

TODAYonline | World | 'Jungle juice' leaves tou...

todayonline.com 13 Oct '11, 5am

SYDNEY - A 25-year-old Australian woman has suffered brain damage and kidney failure after drinking jungle juice - a popul...