22 Feb '11, 11am

Free induction cookers for elderly to promote fire safety

SINGAPORE - A pilot project to ensure the safety of the elderly in Toa Payoh will be launched, this Saturday. Induction cookers will be given to 83 underprivileged senior citizens, said the Central Singapore Community Development Council (CDC), yesterday. These run on electricity and the top burner will start to cool down immediately after the pot or pan is removed from the stove or when the burner is turned off. The project, costing aboout $7,000 and funded by Maybank, is to prevent a repeat of a fatal incident in October, last year, when a fire broke out in a Toa Payoh flat due to leakage from a gas cooker, killing one person. Three others were hospitalised. A CDC spokesman said the induction cookers provide a safer alternative for the elderly. They would not have to worry about forgetting to switch off their gas cookers which may result in gas leakage. If successful, th...

Full article: http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110222-0000428/Fr...

Tweets

Free stoves to elderly to promote safe cooking: SINGAPORE: A pilot project to ensure the safety of the elderly i...

Free stoves to elderly to promote safe cooking:...

channelnewsasia.com 22 Feb '11, 8am

SINGAPORE: A pilot project to ensure the safety of the elderly in Toa Payoh will be launched Saturday, with 83 under-privi...

Fire officials extinguish Chinese capsule hotel: SHANGHAI - A JAPANESE-STYLE capsule hotel in downtown Shanghai

Fire officials extinguish Chinese capsule hotel...

straitstimes.com 24 Feb '11, 10am

A worker standing beside cabinet-sized rooms at China's capsule hotel in Shanghai. The hotel has been shut down over safet...

Newsflash: Shophouses on #fire in #Chinatown

Newsflash: Shophouses on #fire in #Chinatown

singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg 17 Feb '11, 9am

Several STOMPers took photos of some shophouses along New Bridge Road in Chinatown that caught fire at about 4.30pm today ...