05 Mar '11, 9am

Philippines disposes of Cold War-era US bombs via @cmswire

MANILA - PHILIPPINE President Benigno Aquino said on Saturday the government had completed the safe detonation of some 181 tonnes of Cold War-era bombs left by US forces formerly stationed in the country. He said some 181 tonnes of munitions, including anti-submarine depth charges, had been safely disposed of in an operation lasting several weeks. 'Imagine, that was just a portion!' he told reporters after witnessing the safe detonation of the remaining five tonnes from the cache at Crow Valley, a former gunnery range of US forces previously stationed at Clark Air Base. 'This was really one of my first nightmares upon assuming office' in June last year. Mr Aquino said some of the bombs dated to 1947 and were previously stored at Caballo, a tiny island at the mouth of Manila Bay. US forces handed over Clark, Subic Naval Base and several smaller facilities to Manila in 1992,...

Full article: http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/SEAsia/Story/STI...

Tweets

The US & S.Korea have kicked off a joint exercise despite N.Korea's threats of 'all-out war'

The US & S.Korea have kicked off a joint exerci...

straitstimes.com 28 Feb '11, 1am

In this Feb 25, 2011 file photo, South Korean marines on an inflatable boat aim their machine guns during a military exerc...

The Philippines sends two warplanes to the Reed...

straitstimes.com 03 Mar '11, 11am

MANILA - THE Philippine military deployed two warplanes near the disputed South China Sea region after a local ship search...