06 Aug '17, 4am
From Keppel's humble beginnings in 1968, we're proud of how far we've come thanks to our Keppelites. Read more
From its humble beginnings as a local ship repair yard, the Keppel Group has become one of the largest conglomerates in Singapore. Over the years, the Company has evolved into the current structure of focusing on four key businesses in Offshore & Marine, Property, Infrastructure and Investments. Keppel Corporation was corporatised in 1968 (as Keppel Shipyard (Pte) Ltd), but its history spans more than a century. The name Keppel is derived from that of Captain Henry Keppel (1809 - 1904), a British ship captain who first arrived in Singapore in 1848. He not only discovered a natural, deepwater harbour at Tanjong Pagar, where Singapore Harbour is situated, but also recognised its value. The harbour was called New Harbour until 1900, when Henry Keppel, by then a 92-year-old Admiral, visited Singapore again. In his honour, the acting governor of Singapore, Sir Alexander Swetten...