09 Jun '18, 1am

Early History of East St. Louis and Cahokia

Piggot rapidly rose to importance in the newly organized county. He became Judge of the Common Pleas court at Cahokia on Sept. 28, 1795, and a year later, as justice of the quarter sessions, proclaimed the opening of the orphan’s court. Piggot was a man of great energy and his activities were not confined solely to jurisprudence. During the years 1792 to 1795, he began improving a tract of land located approximately at what is now be South End district of East St. Louis. He built to log cabins on in the riverfront to accommodate colonists traveling to the Louisiana Territory and applied to Zenon Frudeau, the Spanish commandant at St. Louis, for permission to operate a ferry across the Mississippi. Piggot’s request was granted in return for "products and timber at lowest rates". The ferry-- consisting of a wooden platform floated on log canoes-- was poled and rowed from the...

Full article: http://www.museum.state.il.us/RiverWeb/landings/Ambot/Arc...

Tweets

rooflite® announces new blender: St. Louis Comp...

greenroofs.com 13 Jun '18, 2pm

rooflite is the premier provider of green roof media in the industry, and it recently identified St. Louis and the surroun...