Outgoing CNB chief says fewer foreigners arrested for drug abuse
SINGAPORE : The number of foreigners arrested for drug abuse is on a decreasing trend, says outgoing Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) director Ng Seng Liang in an exclusive interview with Channel NewsAsia. Last year, 59 foreign drug abusers were arrested, compared to 65 in 2009 and 84 in 2008. Recalling his challenges as director of the bureau for the last six years, Mr Ng said coming to a consensus to ban Subutex - a heroin medication that was abused - was the most memorable. Mr Ng, a former director of the Criminal Investigation Department, retired from CNB on Wednesday, marking 35 years with the Ministry of Home Affairs. Taking over the post is Mr Ng Boon Gay, also a former director of the Criminal Investigation Department. You can read more about Mr Ng Seng Liang's interview in Thursday's edition of the TODAY newspaper.